|Introduced: Shadows of the Past||Previous Event - All Live Events - Next Event|
- Invitation only event that was was held in February 2000.
- Candidates for 'The Gauntlet' included high level, high ranking monarchs. Potential candidates were challenged by "a presence" and if accepted were sent to the Singularity Caul.
- The challenge was to run to the top of a distant hill and claim the Shadow Stone within 30 minutes whilst avoiding dangerous creatures such as: Shadows, Shadow Lieutenants, Panumbris Shadows, Umbris Shadows and Lag Beasts.
- To successfully complete the challenge, a high run skill was needed to avoid the mobs and also a high jump skill to reach the stone itself.
- Monarchs that completed the challenge received a , used to improve Atlan Weapons, and the title of Dark Master.
- There are only two known monarchs to have completed the Gauntlet and they were both on the Thistledown server: Vidorian and Blackthorn.
- Two monarchs also refused to take part in the test: Fafhrd of Thistledown and Killean of Morningthaw.
- The Gauntlet and the Dark Masters are mentioned in the ingame text, General History of Dereth Vol. III.
- During the Should the Stars Fall event, the two Dark Masters were called upon to help free the Hopeslayer; however, Blackthorn had defected and was now part of the Shard Vigils leaving only Vidorian to assist the Shadow Generals.
- The two monarchs who refused to take part in the Gauntlet were called upon by Asheron during the event when Bael'Zharon was defeated.
|Sucessfully complete the Gauntlet|
- Town Crier Rumor (Darkness Ascendant)
- Town Crier tells you, "High-ranking monarchs have been approached by an unknown presence and subjected to grueling tests on a distant island. Apparently this entity, whatever it is, does not think much of our monarchs. Might this have something to do with the frightful apparition in the lightning flashes?"
- Samuel, Former Guardian
- Samuel, Former Guardian tells you, "A few years back - you see? A few years back, this island was found. Apparently, Monarchs had gone there before Bael'zharon walked the world, as a test. Something like that-"
Community content is available under CC-BY-SA unless otherwise noted.