Located in almost every town, Town Criers are excellent sources for recent news and happenings such as clues to new Quests. Criers have things to share just talking to them, but the more interesting tidbits are reserved for those who make donations (in cold hard pyreal coins). Be warned though, Town Criers consider anything given to them as a gift, so should you accidentally pass your shiny new Celdon Breastplate of Uberness to a Town Crier, it will never be seen again. The benefit to their avariciousness is it allows the disposal of unwanted items that cannot otherwise be dropped because they are attuned. Indeed the name has become a verb, meaning to get rid of something in this manner.
- See also Ulgrim the Unpleasant, who is currently in his home town of Ayan Baqur and is an excellent source of scuttlebutt.
- The Town Criers were not always equal with the rumors they share, some had unique information, such as those found in Sanamar and on Marae Lassel. This was changed during two updates.
- In the The Madness of Men update, the mainland Town Criers awarded tokens to players on the Darktide server as an apology for the server downtime and rollback a week prior.
- Town Criers wear costumes during the October update. See gallery for images.
The following dialog are messages that often are repeated. See each of the patch pages for the various rumors.
- Mainland Town Criers
- Town Crier tells you, Town criers are available in most major towns to tell you of the latest news and events. We'll also give you a piece of information for a bit of money."
- Town Crier tells you, "Hey, money! I appreciate it. Your contributions are welcome."
- Town Crier tells you, "I heard a secret, but it'll cost you more than that."
- Town Crier tells you, "Oh just like everyone else, my advice is only good enough for a single pyreal! Well thank you, Mr. Pyrealbags this'll go a long way toward providing for my family. I'm sure that an egg will feed me, my three kids and my wife.
- Town Crier tells you, "Oh you just don't know..."
- Town Crier tells you, "So I'm sure you've noticed that I haven't left this spot in nearly four years. Yeah it's a tough life, standing here all day. Sure... sometimes people are nice enough to give me Shackles of Obedience. But I was wondering... Need a patron?"
- Town Crier tells you, "Did you know that they moved us to a new pay schedule? We only get paid once a month, and only on the first day of the month. But I'm expected to be at my post the same amount of hours... Oh sure the town crier is here for you, but where's the love for us, huh?"
- Town Crier tells you, "Need a vassal? I won't ask for much just some tinkered armor and maybe a tinkered weapon. Oh and maybe a few MMD trade notes, or maybe some golem hearts, wasp wings, armoredillo spines, lugian sinews, dark revenant thigh bones, full sturdy iron key rings, full singularity key rings, or anything else that you don't need."
- Town Crier tells you, "If you have an attuned item you no longer need, feel free to donate it to a Town Crier."
- Town Crier tells you, "Surely you can spare more than that. Do I look like a common beggar to you?"
Darktide Apology Tokens (The Madness of Men)
- Town Crier gives you Apology Token.
- Town Crier tells you, "Please accept our apologies. If you return this token to any town crier, we will give you two items of incomparable value. Make certain that you have room for both items in your main pack first!"
- Viamontian Town Crier
- Town Crier tells you, "This pyreal appears to be stamped with the Bloodless Queen's royal mark. Well, the pyreal it's made of is appreciated at least."
- Tusker Town Crier
- Town Crier tells you, "Bobo."
- Town Crier tells you, "Ooo oo, aaa, ooo ooo hoo hoo haa haa!"
- Town Crier tells you, "Ooo oo aaa aaa aaa. Hoo."
- Town Crier tells you, "Ooo?"
- Town Crier tells you, "Haa haa ooo."
- Town Crier tells you, "Oo aaa oo hoo hoo hoo hoo."
- Town Crier tells you, "Ooo hoo oo oo."
- Town Crier tells you, "Aaa aa oo."
- Town Crier chortles, then scratches its behind.
- Aun Tumerok Town Crier
- You give Aun Town Crier Pyreal.
- Aun Town Crier tells you, "Child, the Tonk have no need of material goods to share information. We are happy to relate our news of importance. However, we do need assistance in defending ourselves from the numerous Hea rebels. I will take your gift as support of the cause. Thank you!"
- Hea Tumerok Town Crier
- You give Hea Town Crier Pyreal.
- Hea Town Crier tells you, "Bah, we are not mercenaries. Anything we wish to say, we say, coins or no coins. But I'll keep the money. It is the cost of your insult."