You can also PM me on Turbine's forums.
page vs category
Hey, I have noticed that a large number of pages are being moved from wiki pages to categories. Is there a reason for this? While categories are certainly useful since they are automagically maintained, I often found our manually maintained pages more useful.
For example, this old page http://ac.wikkii.net/w/index.php?title=Axes&oldid=369603 is much more useful to me, because of the sortable table, than http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Category:Heavy_Weapons, which just contains an alphabetical list.
Even if, for example, I am specifically looking for base 400 wield heavy weapons, I'd much rather have a sortable table than just the list of links at http://ac.wikkii.net/wiki/Category:Heavy_Weapons:_Wield_400 because a table could contain damage, damage type, special properties, etc.
I'm not saying that categories need to go away - they are certainly useful, but the information they present is rather limited.
--An Adventurer 03:41, 2 March 2014 (EST)
Even if the public servers eventually close, an accurate wiki will be vital for the fan-run servers that Sev had talked about in his post. --An Adventurer 07:54, 2 March 2014 (EST)
Quest Guide Item Section
Hey Ark, I have another question for you.
I noticed that recently updated quest guides no longer have an item section, listing all items related to the quest (rumors, keys, rewards, etc). Is there a reason for the removal of this?
I've found this section to be useful, especially if I am going to a quest guide specifically to find a quick link to an item. --An Adventurer 05:43, 28 March 2014 (EST)
- I think most of the changes made to the quest guides have been good. The shortened and smaller quest summary is a good change.
- I guess I just like the visual aspect of icons - its easier for me to recognize, I guess. And I do think that a list of all related items would be useful. For example, there are a large number of intermediary items in the Composite Weapons Quest, and I don't think the guide would be easily rewritten to use a lot of text and tiny icons. Having a complete list of all items related to that quest on that quest's page seems like a useful thing to me. Likewise,
- Likewise, I also liked having the dialog from the quest appear in the colors it does in game. I actually recently added to the css so we could use classes instead of inline styling, you can see my examples here: User:An_Adventurer/Sandbox_2. IMO, visually being able to quickly identify the type of chat message is useful.
- As for wikia, no, I don't think I'd want to move back there, but it could be better maintained with more recent backups added so it is available as another resource. We should probably get an email going between the wiki admins to discuss this more. --An Adventurer 04:34, 29 March 2014 (EST)
I haven't got a confirmation from wikia yet, but our file upload log is filled with uploads from maintenance script, and the spring 2014 patch has most of its images available now. So it looks like we've got wikkii.net as restored as it'll get. --An Adventurer (talk) 14:28, November 18, 2014 (UTC)
- It doesn't look like I can promote users to bots. We'll need to contact Wikia about it, it shouldn't be a big deal. --An Adventurer (talk) 03:03, November 19, 2014 (UTC)
RE: Bureaucrat status
Re: Tooltip code
re: AC Manual
Re: Web Archive
- Re: Live Events:
- Personally, I think that any live event that related to the overall story should be listed on the Live Event page under the story arc that they are a part of, regardless of how major or minor an event it was. My reason for saying this is someone may be interested in that story arc, and want to know all they can about it, so it makes sense to have all the live events for it together.
- Live events that were unrelated to any story arc should be listed on the Live Events Year page (e.g. 2009 Live Events). This would be events like a +Turbine logging in and spawning monsters for fun, various non-serious live events (xmas, april fools, easter, Mr. P, etc), or the Jolt ran events that were sometimes lore related but not actually part of the current story arc.
- As for triggered events, the line between quest and live event is a little fuzzy. I'm not entirely sure how to handle these, but my gut reaction is to have the triggered event listed as a live event, with whatever details are pertinent to the first time it became available listed there, and then have the guide/write up listed on a quest page. An example of this would be the The Soul Crystal of the Dark Isle (Live Event) and Raising Grael's Island (Quest Guide).
- As for various NPCs, I've always felt it best to have every instance of an NPC listed. All of these various listings would be linked together via the character's page (e.g. Hoshino Kei), under the Appearances in game section. The reason this is that we want to be able to talk about and link to specific instances of a character. Aerfalle is a good example of this, where there have been several unique versions of her as both a Creature and an NPC.
- Now, when it comes to the Unwed and Wed Hoshino Kei entries, maybe those should be merged together into Hoshino Kei (Wedding) since they are both from the same event, and are both identical except in title. I can't think of a need to link to one of those pages and not the other.
The new game footers are brought to you by Encyclopedia Gamia and our very own Games Hub. The basic goal is simple: draw together Wikia communities in one location that enjoy the same genres and hopefully expose them to some new games and communities they might be interested in. Our secondary goal is to try and connect editors looking for help with members and administrators from other wikias who are interested in helping them out, whether it be with content, technical knowledge, or insight gleaned from running a community.
If you haven't already been approached, feel free to include your site in the submission section below in the genre you feel is most appropriate for the game you cover. Note that, with rare exception, a game should only be placed in one footer.
Here are some other things to consider:
- A member or members of the site should be willing to help those that might ask for assistance in creating their own wikia. Obviously this is at member discretion; members aren't absolutely required to answer every request for help, nor should they if the query is unrealistic and/or no one has the know-how.
- Any site participating in the footer will have a page created on the Games Hub for their franchise for more exposure. Members are encouraged to double-check this entry once it is live and may take ownership of the page.
- Any site participating in the footer will have each individual game in their franchise created on Encyclopedia Gamia for more exposure. Members are encouraged to double-check these entries once they are live and may take ownership of the pages.
- Backgrounds are transparent and links/text are set to match the site's settings.
- The new footers are mobile-friendly.
- Though intended to stretch the entire width of a main page, the footer can also fit into the left rail, if so desired.
In most cases a game can fit into multiple categories, so the best should be chosen when possible that most closely matches the genre. Rogue-like games, for instance, aren't included because many games feature stealth elements. Instead, they can be found within the Action-Adventure footer.
Should the situation arise where another footer is potentially needed, one may be created, but only if 1) the genre can't be included in any other category and 2) there are enough games for the footer.
For footers that were created and maintained by Wikia staff, these will be replaced with the new footers.
Footers created by users will not be touched at this time.
splash screen redirects
Hey Ark, the redirects you've done for the most recent patches don't work for me. When I go to the May 2015 Patch, I just see a broken image under the Previous Patch / All Patches / Next Patch links. Is it displaying correctly for you? --An Adventurer (talk) 03:06, February 5, 2016 (UTC)
- Thanks Ark, I am seeing the slash screens now. Have a good day :) --An Adventurer (talk) 15:25, February 7, 2016 (UTC)
Ancient Powers Rollback
Hey Arkalor, I had to roll back the Ancient Powers patch page. I noticed that your last revision (from feb 4 2016) replaced all the content for this page with the content from the Gears of Change patch. I'm guessing you were doing some tidying or restructuring of the page and copy/pasted the wrong page in? Anyway, you may want to take a look at it and see if there are some changes you want to make. --An Adventurer (talk) 04:15, March 2, 2016 (UTC)